Reduction of margins, cost control, efficient selection and productivity, key for not passing the full impact of cost prices on to the sales price of products.
- The impact of the increase in cost prices has reduced the company’s margin by 0.6 points, leaving profitability at one of its lowest in the company's history: €0.025 profit per euro of sales, compared to €0.027 in 2021.
- This effort to reduce the company's margin and profitability has led to savings of 375 million euros for the over 5.7 million households that shop at Mercadona, which the company has not passed on to the shopping basket.
- Mercadona has achieved net profit of 718 million euros, 5% more than in 2021, and has maintained its policy of sharing profit with employees, increasing the amount shared by 8% to reach 405 million euros.
- Mercadona's tax contribution to public treasuries was historic in 2022: over 2,263 million euros, 12% more than in 2021.
- With regards to its contribution to creating stable, quality employment, it has created 3,000 jobs with permanent contracts (1,000 of them in Portugal), and has guaranteed the purchasing power of the 99,000 people who make up its staff with salary increases in line with the CPIs of Spain and Portugal.
- In 2022, Juan Roig and Hortensia Herrero allocated over 80 million euros of their dividends to reactivating the economy of the Valencian Community and Spain, a figure that they will increase in 2023 “because knowledge and money bring happiness...if you share them”.