True to its commitment to society, Mercadona strives each and every da to improve the management of its stores and warehouses and reduce the environmental impact of its processes.
One of the company's main goals is to reduce food waste. To this end, it has developed innovative IT tools to manage orders, sales and stock control efficiently.
These are some of the food waste reduction measures Mercadona implements at its stores:
- Regulation of orders to avoid excess stock at warehouses and stores. Daily orders made by our stores with suppliers and warehouses, adjusting stock to the sales forecast insofar as possible.
- No offers or promotions. Mercadona promotes responsible consumption, which helps adjust customers' shopping to their real needs and thus prevent food waste.
- Adjusting the price of products that are about to expire. Mercadona promotes the sale of excess fresh products and those that are close to their expiry date by reducing their price.
- Donations to social entities. The company collaborates with more than 650 social entities in Spain and Portugal to which it delivers unsold food that is perfectly fit for consumption on a daily basis.
- Harnessing products that are not fit for sale. Products that are not fit for sale or donation to social entities are handed over to authorised management companies which turn these into animal feed, fertiliser or energy.
AECOC food waste reduction week
Once again, Mercadona will be joining the Food Waste Reduction Week led by the Spanish Manufacturers and Distributors Association (AECOC). The 6th edition of this initiative will take place between 25 and 30 September 2023, coinciding with the International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste.